Sunday, February 3, 2008

Vine Street

That street name probably means many things, to many different people. I am sure Cincinnati is not the only city with such a title. Even in Cincy, I am sure people have varying expectations, feelings, or memories associated with it. With a few of GBS college students there is no exception.

I am the leader of the Sunday afternoon Kids Klub on Vine Street. I love teaching the kids about God and planting seeds from the Bible in their hearts and minds. I have a good crew of fellow college students who help out tremendously. As with any mission-type ministry, there is often a big turn-over of congregation. Many families are in and out of that area and it is hard to establish long-term relationships with the children. We have taught anywhere from 2 children on one Sunday to 18 children another Sunday.

The last several weeks have been on the low end, and I began sensing a bit of discouragement from some of the workers. It is difficult to feel needed and helpful in a ministry when there is a 4:12 ratio of children to workers!

Although I must say, I am of the belief that in the long run it is better to have truly helped 1 or 2 really find God and grow, than to have had fun trying to corral and teach 20. And it is encouraging that the same 4 have been coming steadily for the last month! But today before we left to pick up kids, we asked God to allow us more children to minister to. I was so happy when we had 9 today! Thank God for answered prayer! I believe it was the boost we all needed to want to keep going. They may not all return next Sunday, but we will continue knocking on their doors each week.

There are other things that take place on Vine Street which cause equal passion in our hearts, but are of a completely opposite nature! Vine Street is known as part of the roughest area in Cincinnati and many drugs are dealt, alcoholism is strong and the living standards are low. These are the people that we want to reach for Christ.

Today when we arrived, directly across the street an all-to-familiar scene was taking place. The cops were there and were handling some issues. After kids klub was over and the workers were cleaning up, we had the door open because the weather was nice. I turned around just in time to see two or three men exchanging small bags for large amounts of money. I had witnessed this before but never with such closeness. If they would have taken one step they would have entered our chapel! I slowly closed the door, not wanting to draw attention or appear rude. We did not want any trouble!

It is heartbreaking to see the sin that has these people so messed up! I came away today with a new determination to keep on! We must do our part to bring people to God. I love those kids and hope to make a difference in their lives. Hopefully they will not be in the same state of life as their parents, aunts, and uncles when they reach adulthood and even their teens.

I should mention one more thing involving Vine Street. Yes, it is dirty, drug-infested, and dangerous. But God has protected us and put a hedge around our chapel. The sin is all-around but they see us every Sunday coming back faithfully; we have a level of respect with these people. Of course, you must be aware of the possibilities and assume common sense. Being cautious by staying in groups and keeping strong guys nearby is one sure method :)

I am thankful for this opportunity to serve God and others! And I definitely look forward to more eventful Sunday afternoons on Vine Street!

4 comments:

lauralavon said...

Thanks for sharing, Esther.
You painted a picture with your words. I was right there, seeing the exchange, feeling the concern, the anxiety, the tinge of fear, but the hope...in the end...always the hope!
Keep encouraged.

Jo said...

I'm praying for you, dear friend! I understand that heavy load! God will use your tender heart! :) Thank you for the sweet birthday text today! :) I love ya!

Melissa Phelps said...

Hey hon, I love the title of your blog... have I told you that before? It's awesome. Good thoughts, by the way.

Julia said...

Esther;
I've been catching up on my blogging today. What does "Worlds Millionare kissed Carla King...." mean? It's at the bottom of your "Balance" post. (I left a comment there by the way.)

I also really enjoyed this post. What a neat glimps into your life. I agree with Laura, you pulled me right into it with you. Very nice writing and a beautiful message of love and hope. You are in my prayers my friend.