Sunday, November 2, 2008

Elections

... are here. I generally avoid all political discussion on my blog just because, but I have had this on my mind for many days and finally decided to post. You can take it or leave it or walk on it. But here are just a few of my thoughts. 

I have heard so many people emphasize and re-emphasize the need to pray about the elections and that God's Will would be done. I do believe it is important to pray for every person involved and that God would intercede as He sees fit. But when it all comes right down to it, is God going to mystically change the vote on the ballot cards? Is He going to take control and have the results go 'His way'?

I would say no! We as American citizens are not God's robots. We as Christian people are not God's robots. He has given every individual their own free-will to do as they want. We, in America, live in a Republic. We are privileged to have the 'people's rights'. God is not going to force feed us any new leader, whether that leader be the worst, better, or decently acceptable. 

I would say that as Christians we do have responsibility to help our country. It involves being well-informed, spreading the word to others, encouraging people to vote wisely, and even praying for voters in general that God would influence their heart and change their attitude.

I had already had this churning about in my head, when I went downtown to Vine St Kids Club today. Across the street from our mission is a little restaurant with signs in the windows. Several were the 'official' support banners for the democratic party, but there was one homemade sign that stood out to me. It was plain white paper and had black stenciling that said.. "Jesus Loves Obama". How true this is! God loves Obama, God loves McCain, and God loves everyone of us! Let's not hurt Him or turn away by making bad choices and rejecting Him. A life lived loving Jesus and serving Him is lived with more joy than we could ever imagine. There is no true joy while seeking to please self.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said what I have been feeling... Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

I would agree that we are not robots, however prayer still changes things. God will not force us to have the leader He deems best. In praying for the elections I believe we should pray for wisdom make the best decision not only for ourselves, but wisdom for others. If God cannot direct and annoint voters then we serve a small God.

=^..^= Don =^..^= said...

Wisely said. As a Disabled Veteran of America, It's so easy to say I KNOW who's best, but I'd like to share a question my pastor asked us this past Sunday in Church. (Rev. Leonard Roop, Household of Faith, Chillicothe, Ohio) "What kind of person would you be if God answered every single one of your prayers the way you want it answered?" Even after this election, GOD is still in control.