Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Good morning!....

...How are you? I am living well!

Today has been a Friday all day long, and I am not sure why! I guess this week has just been long. Once it started raining Monday afternoon, it seems it hasn't stopped! I like rainy days, but these have been three, long, cold rainy days! That is a little different! Anyhow. Before we know it, there will be snow on the ground! (confession... I've already been listening to a little Christmas music)

++

Tonight we had another d-group meeting. I really enjoyed it. Mr. Miles prepared a short talk about the 'most important thing in life' having good relationships with God and with others; loving God and loving others as we love ourselves. After some good discussion and prayer, we ate a delicious snack!

++

I have been doing some interesting collateral reading for class. One class in particular we are required so many points but can choose the books we want to read (within certain topics of course). I have really enjoyed this assignment. My most recent reading has been Too Close, Too Soon by Jim Talley, and Bobbie Reed. It is a relationship book that interestingly has been one of the closest to my own expectations and ideals of dating. Possibly one of the closest, of course, it is difficult to agree with any author completely on all topics.
Anyhow, one particular section stood out to me that affects not just dating but all of life . They discussed three sources of self-esteem: opinion of others, one's own opinions, and God's opinion. Already understanding the importance of God's opinion and trusting Him with my life, it wasn't completely new material, but there were a few things that sorta *popped* out to me! They gave four reasons why the opinions of others are unstable:
1. the perspective of others is not always correct
2. people are not always honest with you about their opinions
3. peoples' opinions are constantly changing to fit the societal norm
4. people do not always know the inner you, and so they are responding only to the public image you portray (page 80-81)

Anyhow, I thought I would share. It was a refreshing perspective in reinforcing my stand to not lean on people's opinion.

++

I am looking forward to the end of this week! Although, I am not necessarily a 'youth' planning to register and stay at Youth Challenge, I will be going to a few services. I am especially excited to be seeing a few friends there (and my 'lil' sis) that I haven't seen in a really long time! Also, two of my classes were canceled for Friday! :D
--That will require a little extra discipline to get up early and still exercise! (Oh, by the way, this is week number 6 for me! So, I suppose it could be considered an actual habit! yeah!!)

++

Well, there are many other things scattered in my head that may show themselves later, but I think this is long enough for tonight. I have a test tomorrow and would like to get some sleep :P Sweet dreams!

++
no, this post did not take an entire day.... the beginning quote was from Dr. Pete Botha this morning in chapel, although I do not know the language he first stated it... so you have the english version :) it made me smile so i am passing it on!

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Sabona
Gillapila
Oonchanee
These are the words you were looking for from Uncle Peet, though I am pretty sure that I am NOT spelling them correctly.

Love reading your blog! See ya!

lauralavon said...

Enjoyed listening on the happenings and thoughts of your day... : )

lauralavon said...

...listening in on...

Jo said...

Hey, girl! I enjoyed this post. Hmmmm... I'd like to read the book. :) I missed not getting to see you a youth challenge. Alas and alack...duties were calling! :) Hope to see you during the Thanksgiving holidays!
Jo

Making Memories 1999 said...

Good thoughts re: people's opinions!! That was helpful for me today! Thanks so much for sharing it! I hope you are having a good day!