Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Blame God?

Can we assume that EVERYTHING happens because God purposely caused it? I recently heard a preacher speaking about things happening for a specific reason. He thought we should take every situation as a chance to witness, or to look and see why God allowed it so we could learn from it. I believe that many things happen for a reason and God does direct the big AND the little things in our life. And often we can use the unexpected 'down-time' as ways to help others. But do we blame our flat tire on God's plan? God could have avoided the flat tire. Perhaps it is because we drove over a nail or because we need new tires? Another example was given of missing a plane or bus. I'm sure that we could take those times as opportunities to witness or minister to others. But did God purposely cause us to miss the plane, or did we not plan properly or perhaps not allow time for traffic or red lights?

I believe God is in control of our lives as we let Him take control. But I also believe He gives us common sense and expects us to use it to make wise choices and 'control' some areas of our life. We are not robots, and our vehicles are not remote-controlled by God or His angels. It seems this area of life could easily become a stumbling block or something that could be over-analyzed!
Any thoughts about this?

5 comments:

Julia said...

Esther;
I'm with you on this one. It's easy for people with comfortable lives to "blame" God for everything. I fear though, that when devastation comes their way, they will be the same ones saying, "Where was God when this happened?". Let's stop and talk with Believers being tortured in Muslim Countries for the cause of Christ, is God "making" that happen too, how about rape and murder? It's a very dangerous thing to act as a spokesperson for God. (As if, we have any idea, what he chooses to do or not do.) I found the "safest" place to be is in a trusting relationship with Him. Perhaps He does "cause" some things in my life, but you won't catch me assuming He did or didnot. I do know that He is utterly trustworthy and whatever comes my way, He is more than suffcient to sustain me. And yes, I should use every opportunity for growth or to share Christ, but it seems a bit assuming, if not, a bit of heresy to say He caused my flat tire.

Julia said...

ps

I stopped by your parent's new house last night. WOW, it's amazing, you're gonna love it.

lauralavon said...

Great thoughts, Esther. Dittos to you and to Juwah.

It seems to me that that assumption (i.e. things happening for a specific reason) distorts how we perceive God and happenings.

You won't believe the setting or the home Juwah mentioned. It's breaktaking. I can just imagine you'll relax like never before!

Love ya

Kimberly said...

So impressed and thankful for you that you are understanding this issue at this VERY young age..alot of people never get it. (Happy belated Bday, btw) Blessings!

J Luck said...

Oh good thoughts. I'm of the opinion that while yes, our steps are ordered of the Lord, God does not necessarily directly cause everything that happens. God created the world and the laws of nature that govern it and sometimes things happen just because. Your flat tire was probably caused by dry-rot which comes about because we live in a universe that tends toward detioration and disorder. Now, can God make those old raggedy tires last much longer than they "should" and keep us safe? Of Course! I think the test is not whether or not God "made" the tire blow out, but how we face that trial when it inevitably comes.